Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Write it up Wednesday

I just realized that I forgot to post about Samantha's plastic surgery appointment. And I have other thoughts flying around, so I thought I should just write it up...
Her appointment was uneventful. The doctor doesn't want to do anything with the hemangioma because he would have to put her under, and that's too risky. Since it's started to heal on it's own (but could take a whole year!) he just wants to monitor it. And in the meantime all we can do is put neosporin on it and bandages and give her tylenol. This thing is evil though. And just LOOKS painful. She used to love baths and now it's torture for us both! And getting her dressed is heartbreaking too. My poor girl..
Is it possible to fall in love with your baby even more each day? Because I think that's what's happening. Just when I think I couldn't possibly love her anymore than I already do, my heart grows bigger. She's been doing a bit better. Her "cry" time now is about 6-10ish. She's been  a little happier during the day. We even had our first mommy and daughter mall trip the other day! I will be honest I was sweating a little afraid she was going to freak out, but she did okay! A few cries but nothing major. I just had to keep the stroller moving. I definitely need some practice with maneuvering a stroller in a small store. I can't tell you how many displays I almost knocked down. And it was strange to have to search for an elevator instead of using the escalator! So many people stopped to admire my lil babe and most of them said " Oh wow, a brand new little baby!." She  does look like she could be just days old! :) So I had to explain the whole preemie story to them. Which of course made them even more bananas over her...
My peanut princess is in a strange place with clothes though. She's getting a little too small for some newborn stuff, but most of the 0-3 month stuff is too big!!! Just like her mom, nothing fitting right! She has such a full closet but it's been hard to dress her. I put away her preemie clothes :( She's still in newborn diapers, but I think we are gonna try size 1 this week (because we have a lot of them!) and they start at 8lbs. So we'll see how they work out.
Still not too many smiles yet :( I was very excited because last Thursday I got two!! But nothing really since. Maybe one yesterday, but I wasn't sure if it was a real one or not. I've decided to stop obsessing about it though. When she's ready, she's ready. Her adjusted age is just a month and almost two weeks! She's probably thinking " Gimme a break Mom!"
This summer is looking to be a busy one already! I think we have something going on almost every weekend! This weekend my husband's step-brother and his family are coming up from NC to visit. And his wife is a photographer and is going to take a few family pictures of us! And we also have my niece's 2nd birthday party.
Have you guys seen these photos? I just love them! I want to try setting some up at home with Sam :)
Something happened this past week in our community that is just heartbreaking. A 14 year old girl (who was also a student of my brother-in-laws) took her own life :( I didn't know the family personally but my husband had worked for the girls father years ago. I just can't stop thinking about this poor girl and her family. Maybe because I'm a parent now and I have a daughter? I can't imagine ever going through something like that. This girl had such a bright future ahead of her. She was beautiful, friendly, smart, a great athlete, loved by so many!!! It just crushes my heart to think that she was feeling that depressed or desperate to go ahead and take her own life. Just makes me squeeze my baby girl a little tighter.  So when you are done reading this, do  me a favor, go hug someone in your house that you love and would miss dearly...

5 comments:

Faith said...

So sad about that girl - we rarely know when someone is THAT depressed until it is too late!

So glad you got out to the mall! I was always the same way with mine when I went out - afraid they were going to freak out! They rarely did, lol! And try maneuvering a double stroller through stores - it's hilarious, lol! I'm so glad you got the "ooh-ing" and the "aah-ing"! Us iinfertile girls longed for that for so long and little Sam and you deserve it!

That hemangioma sounds just awful - makes me so sad to hear how distressing it is to her and you!

I know how you feel with your heart growing bigger - I never thought I could love my kids more than when I did when they were babies. And then they became toddlers who call me "mama," kiss me and hug me and ooze love. Incredible.

Rebecca said...

Sorry that you both have to go through this daily with the bathing and the bandaging. Hope it soon heals completely.

Stephanie said...

JJ just said last night that he's feeling more and more connected to Chloe each day and that warmed my heart. I love that you say you are falling more in love with her, who wouldn't?? She's a doll baby! It's awful to hear about that young girl, and I truly can't imagine what anyone in her family is going through. So, so sad.

Good Timing said...

Poor wee thing. I hope it'll heal up soon and that she'll be giving her mama smiles in no time! xoxo. If you're having trouble with the stroller you could get a carrier or sling. I just got the Beco and it's great!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

im hoping things turn out alright soon...sending you positive thoughts!!