Sunday, January 8, 2012

Another trip to Labor & Delivery

We made another trip to Labor & Delivery last night. Our second one during this pregnancy. Although, this time (so we didn't get yelled at again) we called the Doctor ahead and went to the hospital we are delivering at and not just the closet one.

My MIL had made sutffed shells for dinner last night and made some extra for us. So my husband brought it home and I was heating it up. As I was standing in the kitchen I felt these three quick "contracting" type sensations in the middle of my belly. More so higher up than down low. It wasn't painful, but it wasn't pleasant either. And sort of stopped me in my tracks. I was thinking maybe the were Braxton Hicks? But I wasn't sure and I was a little freaked out. But I just tried to let it go and not go crazy about it. Well I sat down to eat dinner and while I was eating I starting having pain/discomfort all over my belly. Which I've felt something similar before with all my digestive issues, but something about this pain felt different. So I tried to lay down with the heating pad but that didn't help. Then I tried walking around the house. Which helped a little but not too much. So then we decided to call the dr just to see what she thought and that if we should go get checked out. Of course, my dr turned out to be out of town so I had to talk to the dr on call. And he said it would be best to just get checked out and that he would call ahead to the hospital and let them know we're coming. So off we went...

For the next four hours, the baby and I were hooked up to all kinds of monitors. The positive to it all was that we got to hear her heartbeat for a long time and she was moving around a lot. So it was cool (and reassuring) to hear that! I wasn't having any contractions. But my heart rate was high. They also took a urine sample. So we hung out in one of the birthing suites for awhile just hooked up to monitors. Which was pretty surreal to look around and realize that in just a few months I was going to be delivering our baby in one of these rooms! Crazy. Oh! And guess what our nurse's name was? SAMANTHA :) She was really nice. The doctor on duty did check my cervix. Which was NOT pleasant AT ALL. But thankfully, it was closed! So that was good news. A little while later as we are thinking they are going to discharge us any minute, a different and sort of bitchy nurse comes flying in with an IV cart and flips on all the lights. Doesn't even say anything just starts setting things up and Matt and I look at each other like "What the hell is going on?" So I say to bitchy nurse " Ummm what's going on?" And she says (as she's stabbing for a vein) "Oh they found some stuff in your urine so we're just going to give you a bag of fluids and IV antibiotics." And just as I'm about to question her again the attending dr comes flying in and apologizes and said the nurse got here before she could explain it to us. They found some white cells in my urine meaning most likely a UTI. And I was really dehydrated. AND there is a trace of protein in my urine. Which to an IF pregnant person's ears is scary stuff. Protein in your urine can lead to bad things. However they said it was just a tiny trace and nothing to worry about. So they gave the the IV fluid and IV antibiotic and sent me home with a script for Macrobid for 7 days. Which I'm going to be honest scares me a little. I just finished a z-pack last Saturday, last night they pump me full of IV antibiotics and then now I'm on 7 days of another antibiotic. But they assured me it was all safe for the baby.

We didn't really get a concrete answer to why I was having pain. They said it would be from the UTI or just the baby moving funny or braxton hicks. I'm glad I'm being treated for the UTI and I hope everything is okay. Because UTI's can be dangerous for pregnancy too. I was telling my friend earlier that I wish I could just be sedated until April and then have them wake me up when the baby is here. Not that I want to wish away this pregnancy, but I'm just so scared and I just want the baby here safely. And at least close to full term. It's funny because yesterday I was just thinking how good I was feeling lately and that I was finally getting to feel some peace and happiness and confidence with the pregnancy. And then BAM! We end up in L&D. Matt even painted the cradle yesterday before all this!

And then today, I felt a gush of something (and this is TMI) which I was scared was blood and when I checked my pantyliner is was really wet with like a clear liquid/discharge. More than I've ever felt during this pregnancy. It wasn't like A LOT but just enough to make me a little nervous. The doctor on duty last night did say I would be experiencing more discharge as the pregnancy goes on. But it just seemed weird to me that this starts right after our drama last night. I'm just gonna keep an eye on it. Any one else have these issues?

I really hope and pray that we do not see that birthing suite again until April. Please stay put baby girl :)

20 comments:

Liz said...

Wow that sounds scary! I am happy to hear that things are ok. Rest up Momma!

Amber said...

I ended up having UTI's and even bacterial vaginosis (causes lots of discharge) throughout the last 3 months of my pregnancy. SO not fun, but we eventually just stopped trying to treat it because it would not go away. And then I had Paisley, and everything cleared up immediately! Sorry for the scare!

Chon said...

oh you poor love that sounds so scary. why do nurses have to be bitchy? choose another profession!! ok miss samantha no need to come just yet just chill out in mama's belly until your time is right!

Krista said...

I know how you feel about just wanting to be knocked out until the baby gets here...or until you are in REAL labor! I've felt that way many times...not that I don't love cookin my two little guys up...its just all the worry that something could go wrong. Infertiles definitely worry a lot more...there's no way around it. It does get easier as the pregnancy progresses, but the worry is always there...you just learn to cope with it...at least that's what I've done.
Glad you went and got checked out! I feel like I'm always at the OB's office or the lab, but I'm thankful they keep such a close eye on me!

ADSchill said...

It sucks how everything scares us. There is so much that can go wrong and we know better than anyone how this can turn out.
I guess you'll just have to stay as relaxed and calm as possible and keep sending good thoughts to your daughter. You've gotten this far and more than likely you will go all the way.
I'm hoping it all clears up soon and you can have a little peace for the last trimester.

Bridget said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! I am glad everything is ok! Get some rest!

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness S!!! Glad things turned out to be okay. I told my mom the other day I wish I could sleep the rest of this pregnancy away too!!!

Jenn and Casey said...

Sending lots of hugs to you. That sounds so scary!!!

kkasun said...

Yuck, going to L&D is so scary!
I am glad that it wasn't anything too serious. Stay hydrated and rest more!
My last 12 weeks were awful, I hope this isn't the begining of a pattern for you!

Ruth said...

Yikes, what a scare! I'm so glad little Samantha is ok. And I hope the Macrobid treats you well: that's the same one they gave me for my UTI and it made me so sick. But then again, that was at 8 weeks, right along with m/s timeline, so hopefully you're in the clear :)

Emily said...

Just wanted to let you know that I was told last week by two different doctors that it is completely normal for a pregnant woman to have a trace of protein in their urine when they are dehydrated. While it sounds scary, they told me that it isn't something to be concerned about when dehydrated.

Glad to hear everything turned out okay!

Samantha said...

I'm glad you're okay, and I hope you're getting some rest! It's always safe to get checked out.

BTW What you're describing with your belly sounds like BH contrax to me. I had them all the time, they told me I had an irritable uterus :$

manymanymoons said...

I hate this. Can't a girl just enjoy her pregnancy without this bullshit. I am so glad that little Sam is still snuggled up in your belly. I'm sure she plans to stay there for months to come!!

Here is what I don't enjoy. I don't enjoy a bitchy nurse. I don't enjoy that at all. Take it easy and stay sane (if that's at all possible).

Faith said...

OH wow. I guess I was "lucky" in a way that I was taking care of a newborn while pregnant - took my mind off it all:). I could NOT have been more tired, though, lol! BTW, checking my cervix was by FAR the most painful part of the whole having a baby thing. YIKES! I'm so glad all is well now. I had to be on antibiotics twice (or three times?) while pregnant - and Addy is my perfect princess:). Hang in there, hun - you'll get there!

skunklust said...

I am so glad you went to the hospital. Don't ever feel guilty for going if you feel something isn't right. I had contractions I thought were Braxton Hicks combined with a week of little gushes of clear fluid when I coughed ( I had a bad cold) and decided to get checked. I was 28 weeks along. The shock of my life when they told me I had prematurely ruptured my membranes. My cervix was fully closed- they gave me an IV with fluids, antibiotics, and steroid shots and a 2 day stay for monitoring. Contractions stopped. Then, I had to be on bed rest and have baby monitored every 2 days. At 34 weeks they induced my labor and I gave birth to a healthy baby girl we got to take home 6 days later. It is possible to have a small rupture of your membranes- if you have any more gushes, go back to labor & delivery or call your doctor about it. Most likely all is well and completely under control, but when you mentioned the gush of fluid, I had to share with you my story. Wishing you all the very best.

Good Timing said...

Glad you are okay and that all is well! I say bring on April for both of us! :) keep hanging in there! I'd update but our computer is in being fixed and blogger still won't allow updates from the iPad! :( perhaps later this week?? Take care of yourself my friend!

Beeker's Mom said...

Wow... that is some scary stuff. I'm glad you went in even though it sucks being in the hospital.

Rebecca said...

So glad you didn't decide to just ride this out at home the other night. UTI are not fun even when not pregnant. I've had two of them.

Hope you are feeling fine soon.

Erica said...

glad to hear you got checked out and did not dismiss it. Glad to hear you are back home as well. Hope the meds clears everything up. Very scary to be in L&D when NOT time to deliver Lil Miss.S.

Shannon said...

Good grief sister! Would it be too much to ask to have a little peace during this pregnancy? :) Bless your heart. I know you're freaked out - any normal woman would be! (especially us IF-er's!!!) I'm praying for you. Maybe we should all have a little one on one with lil' Sam and tell her to straighten up and stop scaring Mommy! She's been through enough! haha. hugs.