Saturday, August 18, 2012

Oatmeal Shmoatmeal....

Today was a big day for our girl! She tried some Oatmeal for the first time :) A meal that required a big bib, a bowl and a spoon!!! And tomorrow she will be asking to borrow the car....

For the past few weeks, Samantha has been getting some cereal in her bottles. The doc recommended it for her reflux. And lately it just seems like she is not satisfied with her bottle. So we called the doctor and he said to go ahead and try oatmeal. If she tolerates that, we can soon move on to applesauce and sweet potatoes! The plan was to start her on "solids" at her 6 month appt. But that's not until September 28th and I didn't want to wait that long, especially if she didn't seem satisfied. Plus, the doc had mentioned at her last appt that  he might want to start solids a little earlier anyways to help with the reflux. So off we went into "solids" land!!!

We first started her out in the Bumbo with a tray. Yes, I know the Bumbos are being recalled and I am ordering a repair kit :) However, I never leave her unattended anyways in it, so it's all good. But this wasn't the best idea for two reasons....

She doesn't like sitting in the Bumbo for a long time AND she was super hungry. I should have offered her the bottle first and then tried the oatmeal. After a few spoonfuls of oatmeal, she started screaming in the Bumbo. So that was the end of that. I then gave her a bottle which she sucked down pretty quickly and then we attempted the oatmeal again. This time I sat her on my lap and my husband fed her. She took some this way but still wasn't too happy about it. So we decided my husband would put her up over his shoulder (her favorite spot!) and we tried again that way. This seemed to work much better. However, I can't get into that routine of her only eating on his shoulder. The next thing you know she'll be 6 and I'll be feeding her a grilled cheese up on his shoulder! I want to break out our pretty high chair but she's not quite sitting up unassisted yet. I think she would flop over in the high chair. So what if I registered for a black and white print high chair that matches our kitchen :)
"Ummm this isn't my bottle! What the hell is this??"



Overall, I think the first oatmeal experience was a good one! I'm kind of excited to introduce her to other things!! Here are a few pictures. We did take some video but I was using my squeaky baby talk voice in it and I refuse for the entire blogging public to be exposed to that :)
"Ok, fine. Let me try this again. It's not so bad I guess..."
"This is the face of acceptance. Can't we get some bananas up in here?"




10 comments:

Lauren said...

Let the solids adventure begin!! I'm sure she will get used to it and be a pro before you know it! Does your high chair recline at all? Ours could lean back a little bit and you could buckle them in over their shoulders to avoid head banging against the tray part.

Erica said...

Yay for solids!!! what we did with the Twins since they were not sitting up on their own either was to put them in their high chair and roll up some blankets/towels and wedge it on their sides like you would do with them in the car seats. What we also did when lazy was to prop them up on pillows and their boppys and then feed them that way as well. Im sure you will find what works best for you all. She is growing so quickly!!!!

Erica

Faith said...

HAHA! Jackson started early on solids, too, because of his reflux - and once he was on a routine of 3 solids a day, his reflux all but disappeared! Secondly, she will not be 6 and eating on her dad's shoulder, lol! I know what you mean though - every time I allow for something, I think about how long I will have to pay the consequence. When they are that little, though, it is easy to change habits if needed. Except for sleep...yikes, that is always rough, lol! Lastly, our high chair (which is the kind that sits on top of a chair) reclined so when they were that little, we just had it reclined back enough that they didn't have to hold their bodies up. Maybe you could get one of those until she is big enough for your pretty high chair, lol? Good luck!

Stephanie said...

Glad she seemed to like them once you got her in the "right" position (I love how you ended up feeding her by the way). I was going to mention we have one of those space saver high chairs that just sits in a chair, and you can actually lean it back for infants. We got it as a gift so I'm not sure how much they are, but it might be worth looking into for now until she can sit up better in her big high chair.

Rebecca said...

And soon the food fight will begin. Hold off on spaghetti for a while unless you put plastic on the walls first!

carlia said...

oh, the transition to solids...it's rough! with mack, i used the boon squirt spoon (i HIGHLY recommend it, as it allows for one handed feeding) with him sitting between my legs on the floor. he leaned back against my leg (since he wasn't sitting up well yet) and i used my free arm to keep his hands from grabbing the spoon. it worked SO much better than the bowl & spoon i tried before. good luck!

Kristen said...

I still can't believe Sam is old enough for SOLIDS already?!?! Where the heck is this time going?? So excited for her though and praying this helps her reflux too :) And yes, I just looked up your high chair from your registry and it does recline so pull that baby out!!! :)

Jos said...

Fun pics! :)

I just wanted to say that I think the Bumbo recall is ridiculous. I mean, of course if you put a child with good strength on an elevated surface, there is a chance they could tip over the Bumbo seat and fall to the floor, but c'mon, I'd guess that the majority of parents simply use common sense. I'm sure that Sam is just fine in yours, with or without the "fix!"

Liz said...

What great pictures! They always make some great faces when trying new foods. It's so funny! I think most highchairs have a 5 point harness so she should be ok in the highchair. And most you can recline if needed too.

manymanymoons said...

I absolutely AM NOT OK with this post! How is she growing up so fast??

Having said that, Sam is clearly a rock star and will have no problems catching on in no time.