Friday, August 10, 2012

"That's a story that deserves to be told..."

In  the September issue of Parents magazine, Nancy O'Dell interviews Jennifer Garner on her new movie The Odd Life of Timothy Green...

N.O. : The couple in The Odd Life of Timothy Green is dealing with infertility issues. Do you hope that the movie brings attention to infertility and adoption?

J.G. : I do love that the movie is so positive about adoption and has something to say about how a child can come into your life in so many ways. Once they're yours, they're yours, and you never look back. I think that this is a very important message to have out there, and it's important to recognize what struggles women have. I have several friends who are going through, or have gone through, incredible issues trying to have a child. That's a story that deserves to be told, and these women need to be hugged because that's heartbreak right there.

I love Jennifer Garner. No, really, I do. Yes, she is a fertile (3 kids!!) playing an infertile. But she's so good at it. I don't think I could have picked anyone else to play this role. I haven't seen this movie yet, but in Juno I think she really portrayed the emotions us women dealing with infertility feel.

Within the first ten seconds of the trailer for The Odd Life of Timothy Green I was in tears. It starts off with   them sitting in the (what I imagine to be an RE's office) and the doctor is telling them that they have tried everything medically to help them. And still no baby. That look on their faces of shock, sadness, is this really the end of the road??? And then they show the couple writing down on scraps of paper what they would want for their "dream child" and it's so touching and a bit sad in a way...

I can't wait to see the movie. I should probably pack a box some tissues...

6 comments:

cdg said...

perfect interview- I am not sure I can get thru the movie in one piece but always love when light is shed on IF and how emotional it is

Ruth said...

How interesting. And yes, I think any of us who have gone through IF tear up at any movie that portrays the emotions of it; we know it all too well. Even the opening montage in "Up" makes me cry every time when they're sitting in the doctor's office and then she's sitting alone outside the house

Rebecca said...

Not sure I'll be seeing this movie.

Lauren said...

I saw the preview for that too, looks like a really good story, and definitely a story that should be told! I love Jennifer Garner, I couldn't imagine anyone doing a better job than she did in Juno.

ADSchill said...

Oh man, this would be hard to get through. I may still attempt it though as the message is important.

kkasun said...

I can't wait to see this movie!

She also did a great job with Juno, which is a bit less focused on IF, but still touches it!