Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Minority

I realize I'm probably in the minority when saying this, but I don't mind that my daughter watches TV and DVDs...

Is that a collective *GASP* I heard?? :)

Let me explain. I don't think it's cool to put your child in front of a TV all day. Yes, I do think playing outside or reading is a much better option. However, I'm not gonna get all crazy over the fact that my (infant) daughter already loves watching TV. We have the TV on all the time when we are home. Bad habit, I know. But it's just a fact of life for us. We noticed that when we would have Sam over our shoulder she would actually crane her neck around to get a look at the TV. Now, at her age obviously she has no clue what the show is about. All she knows (and loves!) is the bright colors and well, if it has music to go along with it, then she is a pig in shit. Excuse, the analogy. But she is. She loves it.

And I don't really have a problem with it. Of course, I don't use it as a babysitter. The only time I am guilty of throwing a DVD in for her as a "babysitter" is when I really need just a few minutes to do one of the three: Wash/prepare bottles, go to the bathroom or to check FB quick. Ha. Just kidding about that last one. I only check FB when she catnaps :)

I bought her this animated sing-a-long DVD that she is in love with. I mean seriously, I should record her watching it because she is all smiles and starts kicking her legs like crazy! We also got her a Sesame Street sing-a-long DVD. But she's scared of Snuffleupagus. She is not a fan of Snuffy boy. I kind of don't blame her, he is a bit shocking to look at. I do always sit with her and sing along. She thinks I'm a genius when I do the hand motions to "Itsy Bitsy Spider." I truly believe that even at her young age seeing all the bright colors and hearing all those songs is beneficial to her.



Plus, I basically grew up watching every Disney movie out there. And by "every" Disney movie I mean the classics. You know, Little Mermaid...Snow White....Bambi....Beauty and the Beast...Cinderella...the oldies! And LOVED them. Still do. And I think I turned out okay! For the most part :)

I think having a nice balance of outside play, reading and some TV/DVD time is okay for a kid! And these days there are so many educational DVD's out there...

But I know everyone has their own opinion on this topic. So if you are not a fan of your kid watching DVD's you can mail any they get as gifts to us at......ha ha.....kidding....




9 comments:

BeckyT said...

I personally have always allowed my kids tv from a young age. I don't know what US kids tv is like but here in the UK we have set channels for pre-schoolers and you would be AMAZED by how much they learn from tv. Colours, counting, songs. As much as we as parents can try to teach them, sometimes kids would rather listen to a big fluffy/cartoon character than mum and dad. I'm not saying it replaces parental teaching but along side that what they do pick up is amazing when they start. I spent WEEKS trying to teach my oldest two kids to count to ten but once The Wiggles did the "Ten Steps" song, they reeled the list off forwards and back.

Lauren said...

I completely agree with you on this one! My kids are allowed 3 TV shows a day, I don't see any harm in them taking a break and settling down on a couch to watch a preschool age geared program. Life is about balance and swearing kids of TV to me is similar to swearing off junk food or anything else that requires balance in life. If their not taught about balance and making choices they will probably get out a box of cookies and turn on MTV as soon as they are old enough too. And if they are sick, or it's a wash out kind of day outside, I let them bring down every stuffed animal and every blanket they have and snuggle up for a Disney movie! And I'm pretty sure TV taught Ava how to count as well, she was way more intrigued when Mickey Mouse had a song about it rather than me trying to teach her!

kkasun said...

I think these types of decisions should be based on your circumstances and baby.

i will say if i was a sahm avery would watch some tv or dvds. But that isnt our circumstance.

Amd i dont blame sam for being scared of snuffy!!!!!

Oak said...

Amen! TV is not the devil. Nor is formula or disposable diapers or bananas (or whatever will be vilified next!) tv is my savior right now as its the only thing that entertains Mac so B can be fed. Ipso facto, my daughter would starve without tv!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for being so honest! I feel the same way, there is a place for the TV in our home. We won't use it as a babysitter either, but a little screen time every day won't kill her. She is so adorable when her show comes on and she starts dancing...love it!

Sarah said...

Drew doesn't really watch TV, but he's never really shown an interest to! I think parents really overreact and judge other parents on the TV issue and it's just annoying. There are so many wonderful, educational shows that can teach children!!

Rebecca said...

Honestly if it helps the child stay relaxed and calm then its good for them in small amounts I think.

Amber said...

We LOVE TV in our house! It's the only time our crazy child ever settles down. And she is learning a ton from certain ones. She sings and dances along, and is way more interested in learning from them than from me!!!

carlia said...

you get a big AMEN from me, sister! ;) i don't plop mack in front of the TV, but i have some baby genius videos that keep him entertained while i need a momentary babysitter and i don't feel bad about it at all. i hate when people get all preachy about this kind of stuff. do what works for you, even if it means turning on the evil TV! ;)