Thursday, August 23, 2012

Paging Dr. Blogger...

I decided to ask for some advice from you all because honestly our Pediatrician's office is pissing us off lately. Takes days to get a call back, they forget to call stuff in, and a bunch of other things that are getting annoying. Which is too bad because we've heard great things about them and we did really like them in the beginning. Hopefully things will get better there or we are gonna have to be on the search for a new doctor for our Sam...

Do you guys think it's okay for Samantha to have rice cereal in every bottle, plus oatmeal and applesauce once a day?? It kind of seems like a lot to me. But the doc said it was okay if she was tolerating it. Tolerating it? Like not throwing it up??? Today was the first time she had all three. Cereal in every bottle, some oatmeal  at noon and some applesauce at 5. Although, she still is not getting much of the oatmeal and applesauce. Sucks on the spoon and spits out a lot, so she still is getting a bottle every time too. But tonight when I went to give her the bottle after the applesauce and a bath she was screaming like crazy! I'm afraid her belly hurts or something :( Do you think I should try gas drops again? Or alternate each day with oatmeal/applesauce? All three of those foods, the rice, oatmeal and applesauce are binding (I think?) so I'm worried her poor little belly is all in knots. She did poop earlier today.

Or it could be teething? She did have her entire fist in her mouth as she was falling asleep in her crib. Ugh, I just hate not knowing what to do for her and if we are doing this whole solids thing right! I wish she could talk to me :(

Any advice from all you  doctors  bloggers out there would be great!! :) I really don't feel like googling this and having my head spin in twelve different directions....

8 comments:

Samantha said...

It's so hard to say. And honestly I'm sure you know Samantha best so if you think she's not ready I wouldn't rush it.

I worked very closely with a lactation consultant. She is also a nurse. She was kind and gentle, and I trusted her more than any doctor. Alexa suffered from reflux and the pedi suggested rice in the bottle. She was only 2 months old and it didn't feel right to me so I talked to my l/c. The l/c was really against the rice cereal and said that is an outdated practice. So I never did it. Alexa eventually grew out of her reflux.

I didn't start my girls on any solids until they were six months old and then it was just a tiny bit of rice cereal, sweet potato or avocado in the morning.

Jos said...

I agree with Samantha - my peds doc said that rice cereal was only recommended in the past b/c of when they used to recommended introducing solid foods at 4 months instead of 6 months when babies couldn't gum foods, and even though Stella puked all the time from birth-6mo, it wasn't hurting anything, it was just messy. Not saying you're doing anything wrong - starting solids early does NOT hurt anything -it's just not necessary, and i know for Stella at least, it really screwed with her digestive system when we started solids. I'd cut back on how much you're giving her for now to see if it helps with her tummy issues - just follow your intuition!

Jos said...

Oh, and yes, we only did 1 meal/day of solids for the first 2-3 weeks, just to slowly introduce it to Stella's digestive system. Good luck figuring out what works for you guys!

Marissa said...

I don't know. But I've tried finding you on Facebook and can't! My last name is Chris.ten.son.

Hollie said...

My daughter had miserable reflux and I told my pediatrician I didn't want to give her medicine. He suggested 1tbsp of rice cereal for every 2 oz of formula. Within 24 hours she was a sweet and happy two month old baby. We had no more episodes of screaming after every single bottle. The cereal makes the formula heavier, making it harder to come back up. If I had not lived through it and seen the benefits, I might have a different opinion...no, I did have a different opinion. I just wanted so desperately for her to feel better that I was willing to try anything to avoid medicine.

Amy said...

My little guy had reflux. He started on Zantac around 6 weeks old. The meds did help, but wasn't completely eliminating the episodes. We did everything the peds recommended first, which was burping after every ounce and sleeping on a wedge. He finally told us to start adding 1tblsp of rice cereal to every 4oz bottle to weight the milk down. Once we started doing it, we saw a big difference. Our son was on Alimentum formula because he couldn't tolerate lactose or soy. He no longer cried for 45 mins at a time with his little body straight as a board or spitting up all the time. We tried solids at 4 mths but he just didn't seem ready (i.e. he wouldn't eat from the spoon well and was very gassy) so we stopped and wait until he was 6 months old. But, we did not stop the rice cereal in his bottle until he was getting cereal twice a day (morning & night).

Rebecca said...

Is she still having issues with acid reflux?

Good Timing said...

I wish there were more clear cut answers but what works for one baby doesn't seem to work for the next. They are all so different! Go with your gut!