Monday, November 15, 2010

Hope.

During my early college years, while taking a few classes at The College of Saint Rose, I stumbled upon something that would have a great impact on me...

In an English course I was taking, one of our assignments was to choose a poem and memorize it. Then present it to the class. Back then, public speaking terrified me. I wasn't sure I could even do it. But I did. Somehow. And I really can't remember where I found this poem or why I chose it. But one things for sure, I NEVER forgot it. Interestingly enough, it resonates into my infertility struggles that I have today. Hope is a huge thing for me right now...

The poem I chose was...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope
by Emily Dickinson

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ironic, isn't it? The only poem I have memorized to carry with me forever is one about Hope. Sometimes I really do think that every little decision and every little step or direction we take, leads us to where we are supposed to be. Even if it's years later...

No comments: