Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Most Wanted Surrogates in the World

I was watching the movie "Baby Mama" last night. So funny! I've seen it so many times, but it still cracks me up. The movie got me thinking about surrogacy and this article I read in Glamour's November issue.

The article was about how military wives are the most wanted surrogates in the world. Why you ask? Well, as Glamour states, "Cash-strapped and alone on the home front, some military wives are making a living by carrying babies for other couples." I love Glamour, but that opening statement paints this picture of military wives being desperate or something. I myself was once a military wife. And I feel torn about this article. Because on one hand it's like they are saying, well military wives must not be able to have a career so they are going to get paid to have a baby instead. There are so many military wives out there who are well educated and have great careers, plus kids of their own! I can imagine that for many of them, adding "carrying someone else's child" to their to-do list can be a bit much!

My other view on this is that of respect. I think surrogacy is a beautiful thing. Even though most surrogates get paid, it's still such a gift to give to someone who cannot have a baby on their own. The military wife who they interviewed for the article, was 8mths pregnant with another couple's child. And is considering doing it again someday. She was quoted saying " People who don't approve of surrogacy often say, 'If God wanted a couple to have a baby, he would have made it so that they could.' But if I can give my kidney to someone who needs it, why not give a baby to someone who can't have one?" Another reason military wives are in high demand is because instead of the usual cost of a surrogate which can be $100,000-$120,000 it's about $25,000-$40,000.

I give this woman a lot of credit. Here she is with two young children of her own, a husband on deployment and another couple's baby baking in her belly. Now, that's a hard days work! Not to mention the emotional and physical exhaustion.

I'd like to say that I would be a surrogate for someone, someday. But the harsh truth is I can't even make a baby for my husband and I! :) I would definitely FAIL the surrogacy test...

Rock on Surrogates. We, infertiles, thank you. :)

No comments: