Friday, September 9, 2011

Capri Suns and Diabetes

Last night I posted (admitted) on Facebook that I still enjoyed drinking Capri Suns. You know, the juice boxes that normally go in school-age children's lunches. You know, kids who still ride a yellow school bus? They are just so good. And surprisingly quite a few people commented on my fb post about saying "Hell yeah, I still drink them too!" These comments came from a lot of people over the age of 30, so I felt a bit better about myself. It's just a delicious drink, easily accessible (just grab, stab, and drink) and inexpensive. My husband likes them too. A lot of friends posted that they just blame buying them "for the kids." Hmmm, yeah we have no excuses just yet :) Any of you bloggers out there like to partake in a Capri Sun every once in awhile? :)

Today I ventured to Wal-Mart to get the "not heavy" portion of groceries. Then when my husband got home from work, he went and picked up the list of "heavy groceries." Just before I started checking out I started feeling not so good. I felt extremely weak and shaky and kind of sweaty. I got through the checkout fast and drank some juice on the way home. I'm nervous about gestational diabetes. I know it's probably still early for that (maybe?) but I'm about 100% sure I'm going to end up with it at some point. Diabetes runs on my father's side of the family. My brother was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 6, my grandfather had it, my uncle has it and my cousin has it. It's pretty much not if Ill get diabetes during this pregnancy, but when. I'm becoming increasingly worried about how my body is going to handle carrying these twin miracles. I was a little overweight before starting IVF...then gained probably ten pounds during IVF and now well, I'm pregnant and most likely will not be losing weight. And I'm only 5'0 tall! I just hope my body doesn't completely give out on me. When we see our OB (in probably two weeks) I think I'm gonna ask right away if she can test for diabetes or anything like that. I was scared today by how I felt at the store. And I really had only been out and about for an hour or so and I did eat breakfast. I'm sure if I do end up with gestational diabetes it will by "bye bye capri suns" :)

I haven't been sleeping well. I'm considering buying some type of pregnancy body pillow. I've noticed even since after transfer I'm more comfortable sleeping sideways with a pillow between my legs. Or sleeping on my back. But I've noticed in the last few weeks my sleep in so interrupted. I toss and turn a lot to get comfy and then I'm up twice a night to pee.

But let me clarify, I am NOT complaining about any of this :) Just concerned. I am super blessed to be where I'm at right now.

7 weeks tomorrow!

7 comments:

Kate said...

I am diabetic, and my endocrinologist stocks and refigerates Capri suns at his office for low bblood sugars... perfect amount of sugar! So, even if you do end up w/gestational or full blown at some point, you can still have an occasional Capri Sun!

manymanymoons said...

7 weeks tomorrow...wow!! I always say to know thy self and it sounds like you are reading the signs that your body is sending you. It's good that you're prepared for it and maybe catching it early will help lesson the symptoms a bit and get things under control early.

BTW - I don't have a capri sun very often but I do love me a good fruit roll-up. :) You're e-mail cracked me up btw - i'm responding now.

bibc said...

its normal to get shaky/lightheaded with twins. (ive never had a single preg so im not sure about that) just make sure you take it as slow as possible, even now! especially when standing from sitting or laying and always, always have a snack in your purse. once i had it happen to me at the OB and they gave me a kool aid jammer...same pouch style as CS so they can't be that bad!
xoxo
lis

Diana said...

7 weeks!?!? Already!?!? :) I know it's normal you start to worry about pregnancy. But like you say, try to enjoy each bit of it to the fullest. Try not to focus on the "what if's" cuz it'll drive u nutso!! Sending you lots and lots of positive vibes and that u continue to have a healthy pregnancy. Ahhhhhhhh twins!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Babydreams2011 said...

Actually the feelings you are describing sound like LOW blood sugar.. Did you have much to eat or drink before it happened that day? Try to eat several small meals a day, even if it's just crackers and juice or something bland if you feel icky.. Oh and my bottom drawer in my fridge is currently over flowing with Capri Sun (5 boxes for 10 bucks, booyah!)

Jenny said...

1) can't wait to get my gift :)
2) try not to worry about GD. Even if you do get it, more than likely you'll just have to control it with diet...so the best thing you can do is just eat right starting now (I know that's easier said than done when pg makes you crave lots of unhealthy things!).

Feeling dizzy and lightheaded are fairly normal pregnancy symptoms though and not necessarily related to GD...I wasn't tested for it until I was 27 weeks so I really don't think that's what it is right now. You're going through all sorts of physical changes and your body is trying to adjust...keep hydrated and listen to your body when it's time to rest. ((hugs))

L said...

I read on another blog recently that they were tested very early in their pregnancy (I think it was like 12 weeks or something) for diabetes because it ran in their family. I would be sure to ask your OB about it at the first appointment, especially if you are worried.