Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Doppler Delight

Our doppler came tonight! And I heard the heartbeat! My husband had left to go play in his basketball league so I decided to try it out. I was nervous that I couldn't get it to work but after a few minutes I started to hear this heartbeat swishing sound! Which I'm assuming was it! The doppler came with a CD with sounds to look for, but I'll check it out in my car tomorrow! But I'm pretty sure it was the heartbeat I heard! :)

Oh, and Coca-cola makes me a better human being. I realized yesterday evening I was happier and in a better mood and that I wasn't as nauseous!! Hmmm, Coke may have to be an everyday drink for me :) One a day? One every other day? :)


***Ok, so after I posted this I started second guessing myself. The doppler manual says that it should sound like a galloping horse. That's not what I heard. I heard a steady swooshing sound! So I guess I'll just try again tomorrow. Anyone else have a steady swooshing sound on their doppler at almost 13 weeks?***

***I'm a nutcase. So I did some experimenting with the doppler. I was worried the swooshing I was hearing was just my own heartbeat. However, the only place I was hearing this swooshing was in the are below my belly button and above the hoo-ha area. So basically, where the baby is right now. I then tried to hear that same noise higher up all over my stomach and couldn't hear anything. So I think I'm going to go with what I heard as the baby's beat! I tried to get a bpm, but it was too much for me holding the doppler and waiting for the clock to change and counting. Kind of like rubbing your head and patting your stomach kind of thing. I'm sure it will get easier as my belly grows.***

12 comments:

Shannon said...

YAY! Congrats on your wooshing! I say a coke every day is good for the soul of you and those around you. :)

Lauren said...

That's so exciting you can hear baby at home! Only a few more weeks til you will be able to feel LM dancing around in there! And I think a coke everyday is a good idea. I love that M plays in a bball league, I didn't know he played!

Marissa said...

Congrats on hearing the heartbeat!

I love my doppler. Now that they're bigger, we can hear them moving (they make splashy type noises). It's amazing

Faith said...

Yay on getting the doppler! You may have gotten your heartbeat or your stomach moving around (although the better guess is your own heartbeat). The baby's will be faster, which is why it sounds like galloping. It's a little tricky at first, at least it was for me. But you may very well have been hearing baby! Hard to tell without hearing it myself:). And enjoy that Coke - like I said, it was a lifesaver for me when pg:).

Chon said...

funny girl. i think one coke and no coffee a day can't be a bad thing - can it? think of all the people that are snorting coke and having babies. hmmmm see your coke doesn't seem so bad now does it!

Jenny said...

I didn't have a doppler but if you search on youtube you can watch videos of pregnant women using them...maybe that will help?!?!

As for the coke, if it makes you feel that good, I don't think it's a bad thing (in moderation of course!) :)

Good Timing said...

A coke a day keeps the crazies away?! Hehe!! At my OB appt it sounded very different than my own heart and if it is down below your belly button around your pubic bone I bet it is the heart beat! I wish my doppler would arrive soon! Darn ebay! Maybe later this week?!

Might as well, can't dance... said...

Not sure I have ever commented, but I do read daily - or as you post - and pray for you! It is very common to hear your own heartbeat with the doppler, but with practice you will be able to tell yours from baby... Does your doppler show a numeric heartbeat? Baby's will be 140-160 usually and yours more in the 70-80 range. You are right to search low on your pelvic area at this time and as baby grows, you will move upwards. As a nurse - I always ask Mom where the MD/Nurse got it last time and start there... Good luck and don't stress yourself out!

Anonymous said...

Whoo Hoo for the doppler!!! I loved mine. I really struggled to find the heart beat early on but by the time Kaya was 32-33 weeks I it was a for sure heart beat. My midwife figured the swooshing was my placenta. So I was just as happy to listen to that and any kicks/movements Kaya was doing at that time.

I use to lay there and just listen for hours. Enjoy it!!

I also think you should have a coke a day if you need to. If your worried just do the small half size cans a day. Then you aren't drinking the same amount.

Sailor's Sweetheart said...

I want one of those doppler thingies when it's my turn! That would be amazing to hear the heartbeat whenever you want. It would be hard to set the thing down! lol. And a coke a day isn't so bad.. Whatever keeps momma happy!

Jos said...

If it's fast enough to be the baby's heartbeat but still a swooshing sound instead of a clearer stacatto heartbeat, you're probably picking up the baby's heartbeat through the placenta or umbilical cord. It still will show you that all is fine!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

I've never heard of the Doppler! But that's kinda of
Cool:-)